Saturday, March 04, 2006

Guide to Japanese humour

I am not sure whether the following were designed with making people laugh in mind, but these signs from a recent ski trip (especially the second one) gave me a new appreciation for Japanese and humour (not the best pictures I've taken I admit).



The bottom picture was on the room phone and I think I can now see what it was trying to say. The middle picture's Japanese says "Thankyou for using Penke Panke, the staff are all waiting for your next visit" (Penke Panke is the name of the hotel). I have to say though I do prefer their somewhat more creative translation.

That said, to truely appreciate the subtleties of Japanese humour you need to see/listen to the following (if you don't speak/read Japanese then you may need to find a native to help translate why these are funny)....
Last but definitely not least, this guide to Japanese sushi (with English subtitles):

2 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, Blogger A Shropshire Lad said...

Love the subtlety of the Sushi video.

 
At 10:23 PM, Blogger Payara_Confessor said...

Apparently, the video was done by a Japanese comedy group from Osaka called "Ra-menz" and it was only when someone added English subtitles as a laugh and put it on google video did it really take off.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home